Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Debate 3-2
McCain brings up the plumber Joe Wurzelbacher that Obama is going to tax. Here's an interview with the plumber who ended up walking away more scared about Obama after speaking with him.
PM: Still, in that vein, Obama says he doesn’t want to “punish” you, but he wants to – let me see if I can see what his exact quote was…

JW: Redistribute the wealth.

PM: …taxing small businesses making $250,000 and above is going to help the people “behind you.” And yes, “spreading the wealth around.” How did you feel about that?

JW: As soon as he said it, he contradicted himself. He doesn’t want to “punish” me, but – when you use the word “but,” you pretty much negate everything you just said prior to that. So he does want to punish me, he does want to punish me for working harder to – you know, my big thing is the American Dream. I work hard. You know, I was poor; my mom raised me and my brother by herself for a very long time until my dad came along. So I know what it’s like to suffer. It’s not like I was born with a silver spoon. Usually it was a wooden spoon and it was on my butt. It was just a contradiction of terms, what he said: he doesn’t want to punish me but he wants to redistribute my wealth. And what I mean when I say my wealth, I mean the collective. Eventually – I mean, just to sound a little silly here, but you need rich people. I mean, who are you going to work for?

4 Comments:

At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

and McCain couldn't have blown his response worse. It is like he is trying to lose. It was a softball for McCain and he blew it.

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Granite said...

You go to war with the army that you have....

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Leigh said...

I belive they are talking about a 3% difference in tax amount though (39% vs 36%), not really quite as big a 'punishment' as Joe makes it out to be.

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Granite said...

That 3% increase is on the most productive dollars. This is why the tax increase is most damaging, and will be most damaging.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home