Tuesday, November 04, 2008

My Vote 2008
This is my third time voting for John McCain for President (I wrote his name in on the ballot in 2000 and 2004). There's always been something about John McCain personally that I have found interesting. Certainly his biography. And even though maddening at times, his iconoclastic political style I find appealing. There's a touch of the classical with McCain, the way he reacts to personal affronts and slights to his honor. The way Bush, Romney, and Obama got under his skin and it was clear from his body language that he held these people in some manner of personal contempt. I liked his three Amigos routine with Lieberman and Lindsay Graham. There's something old-schoolish about it, like an old-time Senate when people of different parties could be friends. With more ideologues moving in to politics we'll probably see less of this kind of collegiality. Anyway, I digress. I'll have plenty of opportunities moving forward to complain about the state of things. My vote, to borrow a nickname from history, is for the Old Warhorse.

3 Comments:

At 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

More ideologues moving in? Even FoxNews last night said that the conservative revolution that gave the Republicans the majority was driven by the far(ther) right, and was a move away from the center, whereas this new Democratic supermajority is more a reflection of a shift toward the center into contested territory. There's just as much ideology on the right as there is on the left, and i think the "old-school Senate" actually still exists.

 
At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am a McCain fan, but today I feel optimistic and curious. I think Obama is going to be a good president.
I have to admit I felt more moved than I thought I would seeing him with his family last night. It is pretty remarkable. Now let's see how he handles the big bag of poop that is left for him to deal with.
Mrs. Rants

 
At 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a dream....


...we faced the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I had a dream. It was a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.

I had a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

I had a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I had a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I had a dream!

I had a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of "interposition" and "nullification" -- one day right there in Alabama little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.




MLK had a dream but on November 4, 2008 his dream became our lives.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home