Tuesday, September 20, 2005

The Restroom at the End of the Universe
The public restroom has become one of the preeminent locations for implementing new technological innovations. Automated flush toilets, towel dispensers, and faucets. However, most of this stuff needs some fine tuning. I love how foolish you look waving your hand in front of the towel dispenser trying to get the stupid eye to "see" you and dole out the requisite hand towels. Or the automated faucet that shuts off before you've completely washed your hands. And more and more I see gel hand soap being replaced with some sort of wispy, airy mousse. Are these innovations supposed to keep us interested and on task when performing our Number Ones and Twos? Is the public bathroom the new entertainment delivery environment ripe for exploitation? If so, keep an eye out for signs of ClearChannel buying up public restroom space. That will signal that the trend is real.

3 Comments:

At 10:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

The first time I experienced the automatic flush toilet, it scared the crap out of me,(ah, yea, not literally) but I thought someone else was in there with me! I'm a fan of the old fashion toilet handle, I don't think we're that lazy that we can't flush it ourselves. I guess we're that germaphobic though.. we shouldn't touch anything these days!

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Granite said...

Top 10 Restrooms? Have not seen it. They didn't have bathroom attendants did they? I hate bathroom attendants....

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Granite said...

I'm not sure about the old fashioned flush handle either. Usually I step on the thing using my shoe. So anyone using their hands on that handle are picking up what was on my shoes and the floor as well.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home